Jump to page content
The Pequod
Dr Alistair Brown | Associate lecturer in English Literature; researching video games and literature

Recent Posts

Twitter @alibrown18

New Essay

Through exploring the psychopathology of Capgras syndrome, in which a patient mistakes a loved one for an imposter, The Echo Maker offers a sustained meditation on the ways in which we project our own problems onto other people. As a reflection on the mysteries of consciousness, the novel offers some interesting if not especially new insights into the fuzzy boundaries between scientific and literary interpretations of the mind. Read more


Photoblogger

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Since I got my Nikon D50, my photography has shot up a gear in terms of quantity, although you can judge for yourself whether it shows any qualitative improvement. Because of this, whereas before I was uploading two or three photos a month, I am now putting on two or three a week.

I found when I switched to using Blogger that I was writing more, being less put off by the need to upload two separate files, and change titles and breadcrumbs and dates and menu lists and so on. So in relation to the Photography section of The Pequod, I have got rid of my old XHTML ways of doing things and switched to using the PHP photoblog script, Photoblogger. After a bit of fiddling around to incorporate my templates and upload my old photographs in the order I wanted, I have decided that it is nothing short of fantastic. Now to add photos I click one button to upload, type a title and description, and I'm done. An RSS feed automatically points to the newest post, so I can register the site on Photoblogs, and I also get a full gallery facility, search options and an automated commenting system (no need to copy and paste from emails).

Nicholas Carr and Yochai Benkler may be arguing over whether bloggers and photographers are going to be paid for producing their content in three years time, but one thing of which I am certain is that talented programmers such as Sylvia Trommer who wrote Photoblogger stand to make a significant amount of money by providing the tools bloggers and photographers need to get their work published with as little technical fuss as possible.

Labels: ,

Posted by Alistair at 2:17 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this website is Copyright © 2009 using a Creative Commons Licence. One term of this copyright policy is that Plagiarism is theft. If using information from this website in your own work, please ensure that you use the correct citation.

Valid XHTML 1.0. Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0. | Labelled with ICRA.