Jump to page content
The Pequod
Dr Alistair Brown | Associate lecturer in English Literature; researching video games and literature

Recent Posts

Twitter @alibrown18

New Essay

Through exploring the psychopathology of Capgras syndrome, in which a patient mistakes a loved one for an imposter, The Echo Maker offers a sustained meditation on the ways in which we project our own problems onto other people. As a reflection on the mysteries of consciousness, the novel offers some interesting if not especially new insights into the fuzzy boundaries between scientific and literary interpretations of the mind. Read more


The Dangers of Photography

Monday, October 16, 2006

There is an organic farm near where we live, and its stars are the herd of highland cows, who look disarmingly cute with their shaggy, orange fringes. However, appearances can be deceptive. Wanting to get a particular shot (to be posted in the photoblog in a couple of days), I invaded their field, whilst they are still about 20 metres distant. Inquisitive, however, they began to wander towards me, and I became aware of the size of their horns, a feature that outweighed my delight in their beauty. As they began to run, I leaped over the fence. Panting, I turned and realised that I had left my camera bag over the other side of the fence, where it was being licked to a soppy black by the rough tongue of this fellow.



Luckily, with a gentle pat on its nose, I was able to apologise for having entered their territory unannounced, and he then backed off and allowed me to retrieve my gear.

Labels:

Posted by Alistair at 6:05 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this website is Copyright © 2009 using a Creative Commons Licence. One term of this copyright policy is that Plagiarism is theft. If using information from this website in your own work, please ensure that you use the correct citation.

Valid XHTML 1.0. Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0. | Labelled with ICRA.