Jump to page content
The Pequod
Dr Alistair Brown | Associate lecturer in English Literature; researching video games and literature

Recent Posts

Twitter @alibrown18

New Essay

Through exploring the psychopathology of Capgras syndrome, in which a patient mistakes a loved one for an imposter, The Echo Maker offers a sustained meditation on the ways in which we project our own problems onto other people. As a reflection on the mysteries of consciousness, the novel offers some interesting if not especially new insights into the fuzzy boundaries between scientific and literary interpretations of the mind. Read more


Postgraduate Diary: Online Backup with DriveHQ

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One of my thesis chapters is on Philip K. Dick, and concerns his representation of the paranoia that arises in a technologised society. But whilst admiring Dick's work a great deal, I have found myself partaking in the culture of replication which he critiques, because by now, after three years of research and with my thesis nearly done, I have become utterly paranoid about the possibility of losing it at the last through a computer error or virus.

As a digital photographer, I have always been quite careful to keep frequent backups, using firstly CDs and then, when my collection became too large, an external hard drive which goes in the drawer when we go away overnight - because I'm sure those robbers won't be rummaging amongst my underpants! My crucial documents are duplicated here on a weekly basis. However, lying in bed fretting one night, I decided that this was not sufficient, and I added a third, internal drive to back them up automatically on a daily basis. Of course, the problem is that these are all in one place. What if the house burns down, or a power surge wipes the whole system?

A few sleepless nights later, and I have discovered the perfect solution. This is the online file store DriveHQ. Through a small but nifty piece of software that loads when my computer starts, I can set it to a real-time backup mode, so that the instant I save a file on my computer, making that critical word change or crossing that final "t," it is duplicated online. The system keeps up to ten previous versions of updated files, so you can roll back if you realise you want to retrieve an earlier version. And, best of all, it's completely free for up to 1GB of files. Paranoid but impoverished PhD students have no excuses; with DriveHQ the digital equivalent of the cat/homework/munchies scenario is a thing of the past!

Labels: , , ,

Posted by Alistair at 5:12 pm

1 Comments:

Blogger backupanytime.com said...

cat/homework/munchies - I like it!
You can also have anyenemy/data/destroy and self/data/protection from http://www.backupanytime.com

Cheers
John

8:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this website is Copyright © 2009 using a Creative Commons Licence. One term of this copyright policy is that Plagiarism is theft. If using information from this website in your own work, please ensure that you use the correct citation.

Valid XHTML 1.0. Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0. | Labelled with ICRA.