Jump to page content
The Pequod
Dr Alistair Brown | Associate lecturer in English Literature; researching video games and literature

Recent Posts

Twitter @alibrown18

New Essay

Through exploring the psychopathology of Capgras syndrome, in which a patient mistakes a loved one for an imposter, The Echo Maker offers a sustained meditation on the ways in which we project our own problems onto other people. As a reflection on the mysteries of consciousness, the novel offers some interesting if not especially new insights into the fuzzy boundaries between scientific and literary interpretations of the mind. Read more


Postgraduate Diary: After a While Away

Monday, October 03, 2005

It's been over a month since my last post. As I write this, the words of Rochester, opening the second chapter of Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea, echo in my head: "So it was all over, the advance and retreat, the doubts and hesitations. Everything finished, for better or for worse." Like Rochester, I am just about to move in to a new house (in fact, I will have done by the time you read this, as I have no means of uploading to the site until then). Like Rochester, I now find myself married - in my case to another three years of study - a marriage which, due to financial reasons, I was never sure I would be able to make.

Without giving away too much detail - and hence losing the anonymity which, to some degree, protects me from accusations of arrogance in publishing my weak works here - I will be effectively paid to explore and write on a literary field of my interest. This is an exciting time. It is also intensely frightening and bewildering: in what other trade is the deadline for completion of a project 3 or 4 years ahead, with little contact time with other experienced colleagues or superiors during that period? Among its other topics of interest, this blog will now become a record of my postgraduate experiences, and my attempts to come to terms with these trepidations; I hope you will join me, and perhaps help me, along the way.

Labels:

Posted by Alistair at 4:29 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The content of this website is Copyright © 2009 using a Creative Commons Licence. One term of this copyright policy is that Plagiarism is theft. If using information from this website in your own work, please ensure that you use the correct citation.

Valid XHTML 1.0. Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0. | Labelled with ICRA.